maths in English !

Welcome to the Pub! Here, we speak English only… Will you be up to the challenge?
Règles du forum
No French messages! ;-)
Jean-Batman
Sénateur

maths in English !

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:40

Yay !

I was wandering about in this section, then I thought : "How about a topic dedicated to maths in English ?"
You may find it a bit useless, arguing that we already have a section about this subject in French, and all.

However, I think that would be really interesting to use this language in another context, using it to improve our vocabulary in different domains.
Let us see : For instance, imagine that one day, you would have to give a lecture to a wide audience if you become a renowned professor. You would also have to explain your project (as an engineer) to somebody...

You have to know some adapted words about those specific subjects !

That is why I find it convenient to open such a topic, where you will be able to deal with any maths problems, and we will try to solve them in English, hopefully !

Good idea ? Bad idea ? Tell me what your opinion is :)
And above all, don't hesitate to suggest your ideas !
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Re: maths in English !

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 16:44

For November 2012 and beyond, I'll live and work in english, as I will be an Air Traffic Controller. I think in english since 2011 now, to prepare myself (for the competitive exam and the job). The only thing I did in french was Maths and Physics. So, please, let me rest, I don't want to do maths in english ! I don't mind about talking english, but I'll pass on that maths-english idea...
 Administrateur galactique du forum.
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

«Le désespoir n'est pas une idée; c'est une chose, une chose qui torture, qui serre et qui broie le cœur d'un homme comme une tenaille, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit fou et se jette dans la mort comme dans les bras d'une mère» (Alfred de Vigny, 1835)

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:49

That's ok ^^ Oh dear, I didn't know that you had so much to do !
Do you think I should delete this topic then ?
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 16:51

Of course not, let's see if this raise interest
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

«Le désespoir n'est pas une idée; c'est une chose, une chose qui torture, qui serre et qui broie le cœur d'un homme comme une tenaille, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit fou et se jette dans la mort comme dans les bras d'une mère» (Alfred de Vigny, 1835)

A-Sophie
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar A-Sophie » 27 juin 2012, 17:51

Well, I'm interested. When I =was in "2nde", my maths teacher had given me papers comparing French and English notations. Even if I never looked at it very seriously, it was quite fun to have a look.

I find this web-site really good : http://www.brightstorm.com/ You don't only have maths on it, but also chemistry, physics, biology and English. Moreover, if you clic on 'transcript' you have the script of what is say on the video and so you can check what you've understood !
2012/2014 : Fermat PCSI1/PC
2014/... : Ecole des Mines de Douai

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 22:24

I have some useful links also. I've discovered them whilst rebrushing my DNL for the bac ^^

Here they are :
an Analysis lesson, which would suit our "maths sup".

some linear algebra taught in this famous University

An amazing physics lecture among others given by renowned Walter Lewin !

I hope you will enjoy them :)
Pas 5/2

Mojo
Député

Messagepar Mojo » 03 juil. 2012, 11:14

our maths teacher gave us an exercise in english once..quite easy but we appreciated the idea :lol:

lavi
Sénateur

Messagepar lavi » 05 juil. 2012, 18:25

Jean-Batman a écrit :I have some useful links also. I've discovered them whilst rebrushing my DNL for the bac ^^

Ahhh, DNL... It reminds me something... maybe ... yes, sure : German (Ich hatte DNL in deutsch...)

I didn't do any maths-exercice in English during my "Lycée" but we done physic-exercices in 3ème some programm-useless-obligation I think... and we didn't have any english-exercice during the Brevet so, yes, that was maybe a little useless...

Please warn me if I done mistakes :|
Profession : Pantalon Vert

2012-2013 : PCSI 2 (PV c'est moi :) )
2013-2014 : PC*

Fier membre du BDE de l'ENS de Lyon

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 05 juil. 2012, 20:44

lavi a écrit :
Jean-Batman a écrit :I have some useful links also. I've discovered them whilst rebrushing my DNL for the bac ^^

Ahhh, DNL... It reminds me something... maybe ... yes, sure : German (Ich hatte DNL in deutsch...)

I haven't done any maths exercices in English during highschool but we did some physics exercices in 3ème (because of a compulsory and useless programme) I think... and we didn't have any english exercices during the Brevet so, yes, that was maybe a little useless...

Please warn me if I have done mistakes :|

Y u no speeek inglish corrictly ?? :twisted:

Haha no, I'm joking ^^
But since you asked us to correct you, I couldn't help being nasty for a moment, now I'm going better.
Cheers :mrgreen:

Edit : don't worry, I'm also doing mistakes loads of times !
Pas 5/2

MeIdmry
Président de la République

Messagepar MeIdmry » 06 juil. 2012, 16:02

Fermat 2007-2010 (MPSI1/MP*/MP*)

lavi
Sénateur

Messagepar lavi » 10 juil. 2012, 17:03

Jean-Batman a écrit :Y u no speeek inglish corrictly ?? :twisted:

Haha no, I'm joking ^^
But since you asked us to correct you, I couldn't help being nasty for a moment, now I'm going better.
Cheers :mrgreen:

Edit : don't worry, I'm also doing mistakes loads of times !

Well, thanks a lot. I've never understood how I shall use preterit and present perfect. I mean, when present perfect shall be used or not. Could you teach me something about it ?

I'm sure I did mistakes again, didn't I ?

A-Sophie
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar A-Sophie » 12 juil. 2012, 11:08

Lavi has writen :
I've never understood how I shall use preterit and present perfect. I mean, when present perfect shall be used or not. Could you teach me something about it ?

The present perfect is a present tense. It always tells us something about now. 'Tom has lost his key' => he doesn't have his key now.
The past simple (or preterit) tells us only about the past. If somebody says 'Tom lost his key', we don't know whether he has it now or not. We only know that he lost his key at some time in the past. Do not use present perfect if there is no connection with the present (for example, things that happened a long time ago).
Compare : Shakespeare wrote many plays. // My siter is a writer. She has writen many books (she still writes books).

We use the present perfect to give new information. But if we continue to talk about it, we normally use the past simple. ex : - Ow ! I've burnt myself ! - How did you do that ? (not have you done) - I picked up a hot dish. (not have picked)
Do not use the present perfect when you talk about a finished time ( yesterday, ten minutes ago, in 1985, when I was a child... ). Use a past tense : The weather was nice yesterday (not has been nice).

Use a past tense when you ask When... ? or What time... ? : When did they arrive ? (not have they arrived)

To sum up :
Present perfect :
Tom has lost his key. He can't get into the house. Here, we are not thinking of the past action. We are thinking of the present result of the action : He doesn't have his key now.We use the present perfect for a period of time that continues from the past until now ( today, this week, since 1985... ).
Past simple : Tom lost his key yesterday. He couldn't get into the house. Here, we are thinking of the action in the past. We don't know from this sentence whether Tom has his key now. We use the past simple for a finished time in the past (yesterday, last week, from 1985 to 1991... ).

Is it better now ?
2012/2014 : Fermat PCSI1/PC
2014/... : Ecole des Mines de Douai

lavi
Sénateur

Messagepar lavi » 12 juil. 2012, 13:02

Yes, much better ! Thank you very much !

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 12 juil. 2012, 13:26

And that's it : I'll speak english for the rest of my life. Just definitively accepted ICNA's competitive exam.

Well, I guess I'll have to get used to that. How strange is this gonna be at first. Well. Let's speak english now !

What ? It is indeed in english :mrgreen:
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 12 juil. 2012, 16:46

That integral is absolutely easy to determine :p
Pas 5/2

lavi
Sénateur

Messagepar lavi » 12 juil. 2012, 22:41

tphi a écrit :What ? It is indeed in english :mrgreen:

You're a smart one, aren't you ? :mrgreen:

Alright, I agree talking english for maths doesn't change anything. Well, maybe you need to say "square root" instead of "racine carrée" but... :roll:

Otherwise, do you have written those formulas with LaTex ? If the answer is yes, then I definitely need to train me, regarding LaTex.

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 12 juil. 2012, 22:43

lavi a écrit : I definitely need to train me, regarding LaTex.

lavi a écrit : to train me

WUUT ? That hurts !

Basically, I just made a copy/pasta of somle random integral found on the internet :mrgreen:
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

lavi
Sénateur

Messagepar lavi » 12 juil. 2012, 23:24

tphi a écrit :
lavi a écrit : I definitely need to train me, regarding LaTex.

lavi a écrit : to train me

WUUT ? That hurts !

:D

tphi a écrit :Basically, I just made a copy/pasta of somle random integral found on the internet :mrgreen:

seriously ? How did you managed to do something like that ?... must take some time :?

Revenir vers « The Irish Pub »