What's this pub exactly ?

Welcome to the Pub! Here, we speak English only… Will you be up to the challenge?
Règles du forum
No French messages! ;-)
DRV47
Maire

Re: What's this pub exactly ?

Messagepar DRV47 » 27 juin 2012, 19:37

Pour ceux qui veulent perfectionner leurs anglais il y a toujours engrish.com :D
2011-2012 : MPSI 2 (tous des Dieux !)
2012-2013 : XM2 (vive Papa Rupprecht ;-) )
2013 - ? : MINES ParisTech

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 20:32

DRV47 a écrit :Pour ceux qui veulent perfectionner leurs anglais il y a toujours [url]engrish.com[/url] :D

[censored by tphi because it was french]

Oups, I forgot to say it in English :
"True pearls ! Rare ones !"
Pas 5/2

tphi
Ancien

Messagepar tphi » 20 juil. 2012, 17:38

Hey "les bizuths" : this is an extremely intresting article from The Economist that you might well have in "kholle" with A.B next year.

http://www.economist.com/node/21559387

You have 20 minutes to do a short but structured summary and a commentary :twisted:
 Ancien administrateur du forum.
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

«Le désespoir n'est pas une idée; c'est une chose, une chose qui torture, qui serre et qui broie le cœur d'un homme comme une tenaille, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit fou et se jette dans la mort comme dans les bras d'une mère» (Alfred de Vigny, 1835)

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 20 juil. 2012, 19:31

Cheers Thib :)

Isn't it Cameron on the picture ?

Ah yes, I'm such an idiot ^^
Pas 5/2

lavi
Sénateur

Messagepar lavi » 20 juil. 2012, 23:13

Jean-Batman a écrit :Cheers Thib :)

Isn't it Cameron on the picture ?

Ah yes, I'm such an idiot ^^

Cameron too ! Hey ? did you say God was an idiot ? Man, if you really meant that I bless you !
Profession : Pantalon Vert

2012-2013 : PCSI 2 (PV c'est moi :) )
2013-2014 : PC*

Fier membre du BDE de l'ENS de Lyon

tphi
Ancien

Messagepar tphi » 30 août 2012, 20:41

http://www.economist.com/node/21561890

Do read this in order to succes at your kholles: you'll sure encounter a lot of articles about this. You may not have such a long text but this article is very complete about the question and will also fill your mind with tons of vocabulary
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

«Le désespoir n'est pas une idée; c'est une chose, une chose qui torture, qui serre et qui broie le cœur d'un homme comme une tenaille, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit fou et se jette dans la mort comme dans les bras d'une mère» (Alfred de Vigny, 1835)

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 30 août 2012, 21:49

tphi a écrit :http://www.economist.com/node/21561890

Do read this in order to succes at your kholles: you'll sure encounter a lot of articles about this. You may not have such a long text but this article is very complete about the question and will also fill your mind with tons of vocabulary

Cheers !!! :)
Pas 5/2

Astrid
Maire

Messagepar Astrid » 30 août 2012, 21:55

Yeeees ! You re-opened Fermat's Pub ! A-Sophie you're my new idol ! :)
Last year I was so happy to see this Pub, then i saw "last message 2008", then i was sad. True Story.

I just wanted to add some advice about the colles (seriously writing it "khôlles" is SOOOO presomptuous !) :
teachers are really happy when you talk about your life and what you like and when you're able to make the link with something that actually happened to you or friends !

some easy examples :
-a colle about social website,youHAVE TO talk about the site you're on, and your own opinion, DO NOT say : people do this, some think that... GET INVOLVED
-one about keeping water flowing in Africa : i refered to a report i saw couple of years ago
-once i chatted for 20 minutes at the end of my colle with my teacher about women's salary and treatment, if you're actually able to answer to the teacher quickly it's WON :)

--> and even when you have no fu***** idea what to say, manage to make a link with sth you want to talk about !
this way i never had to read any paper and i had no idea what the hell was going on in the world or even in France during my whole year !
I know it's easier to say than to do if you're struggling with grammar :?

Last thing, some talked about watching movies/sitcom :
really good for your oral if you watch it with english subtitles as sne said
watch HIMYM, it's awesome and it's only 20minutes !
Mais, vous savez, moi je ne crois pas qu'il y ait de bonne ou de mauvaise situation.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 30 août 2012, 22:08

Oh great enthusiasm I see !

First of all, do you think spelling khôlle is presomptuous ? I personnally find it stylish and it's always been like this so why make a change ?

Yes ! Talking about your damn useless life is so much important compared to what occurs everyday all around the world :p I could experience the same : dealing with the trip you did last holidays whilst analyzing a document about poverty in India makes it all.
Pas 5/2

tphi
Ancien

Messagepar tphi » 30 août 2012, 22:10

Spelling khôlle isn't presomptuous compared to writing "whilst" in a board :lol: :lol:
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Astrid
Maire

Messagepar Astrid » 30 août 2012, 22:22

Most people like to write khôlles because it shows they're brillant genius in prépa and that they don't have oral exam they have khÔlles, just think it's too much, but anyway it's not really an issue :)

and my useless life owed me to have from 15 to 18 in colle so I pretty much adore it :mrgreen:
honestly i just have no time to spend reading papers, even if i hate the fact i don't have a clue on what's going on, especially last year during the elections, i was quite embarassed as i didn't know who was proposing what :|
Mais, vous savez, moi je ne crois pas qu'il y ait de bonne ou de mauvaise situation.

tphi
Ancien

Messagepar tphi » 30 août 2012, 22:28

Oral exam is for normal people. We are prépa ! We're unreacheable !

I took three oral at these competitive exams :
-Pollution in China (13)
-Anorexy and Litlle Girls' hypersexualisation (13.5)
-A random article about ecology and "shiste" gazes (can't remerber the proper term) (14)

Moral : If you speak a rather fluent english and that you "live" your oral, if you seem captivated and intressed, you'll have a good mark, whatever the subject is.
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 31 août 2012, 09:30

This year I had one about li-fi... Ever heard of that ?! :mrgreen:

I'll finish the argument : Khôlle definitely is the way to spell it. Plus it's kinda Greekish (not to say geekish ^^)
Pas 5/2

Revenir vers « The Irish Pub »