What's this pub exactly ?

Welcome to the Pub! Here, we speak English only… Will you be up to the challenge?
Règles du forum
No French messages! ;-)
MeIdmry
Président de la République

What's this pub exactly ?

Messagepar MeIdmry » 19 août 2007, 23:25

Hello,

When I woke up this morning, I had an idea : create a section where we'll express ourselves in english only.
After the VO's films, it's a solution for improve our English, what's more together...

I dare to hope you'll appreciate my idea :wink: and, especially, that you'll understand this message.

Sincerely,
Your President, Nicolas

Sacho
Sénateur

Messagepar Sacho » 20 août 2007, 00:57

I hope everyone here can understand your message, and I think this topic is quite a good idea... and what about a spanish "bar de tapas" near this pub? :wink:
MP3 => XM1 => Mines de Saint-Etienne

PoetMP2
Sénateur

Messagepar PoetMP2 » 20 août 2007, 09:13

Can we correct some of your mistakes? ^^

JB [Roméo] MP2
Conseiller régional

Messagepar JB [Roméo] MP2 » 20 août 2007, 10:16

Why not! Quite good idea but where is the alcohol? :P

PoetMP2
Sénateur

Messagepar PoetMP2 » 20 août 2007, 10:37

A Beamish Please :) vivement le london town ^^

jennifer
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar jennifer » 20 août 2007, 12:30

Great idea ! :D
Nicolas you realy saw films in english in order to improve your english !! :lol:
You do all they say...
fermatheuse MPSI

jennifer
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar jennifer » 20 août 2007, 12:32

j'ai oublié un petit "what" au passage je crois ...

Censured (english only)
fermatheuse MPSI

Sacho
Sénateur

Messagepar Sacho » 20 août 2007, 12:39

**Only english**
But you can add "what" with the "éditer" button.

jennifer
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar jennifer » 20 août 2007, 12:41

but the litlle problem is that I don't know how to edit since no one tell me how to do that !! :cry:
fermatheuse MPSI

PoetMP2
Sénateur

Messagepar PoetMP2 » 20 août 2007, 12:51

-Your english is quite surprising-

jennifer
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar jennifer » 20 août 2007, 12:56

[modepause] Tu parles de mon anglais ? Je l'avoue volontier il n'est pas génial ! je préfère l'espagnol faut pas m'en vouloir ... [modepauseoff]

Censured (english only)
fermatheuse MPSI

Sacho
Sénateur

Messagepar Sacho » 20 août 2007, 13:54

Moirf.

To edit, you've "éditer" near "citer" in any of your messages. :?

PoetMP2
Sénateur

Messagepar PoetMP2 » 20 août 2007, 14:49

you've doesn't sound good to my ears.. don't force contractions ^^ Jenny, it wasn't 'specially for U but a General Feeling concernin' almost everyone (not to mention our president)

MeIdmry

Messagepar MeIdmry » 20 août 2007, 22:13

God save Poet :wink:

²Superfermat
Citoyen

Messagepar ²Superfermat » 20 août 2007, 22:15

I saw a film..........
"The Magdalene's Sister" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And stay the same !

jugnrock
Sénateur

Messagepar jugnrock » 20 août 2007, 22:22

You should intrduce yourself ²superfermat, where are you from ? Where do you go ? ....

MeIdmry

Messagepar MeIdmry » 20 août 2007, 22:53

All right. This is your first message in the forum. Who are you ? :wink:

PoetMP2
Sénateur

Messagepar PoetMP2 » 21 août 2007, 09:28

Let's introduce Superfermat :) He'll be one of your square (he cannot introduce himself, too cool for that) so he was an MP2 then he'll go in PSI Star, that's all you should know about him ^^

BRAVO*
Conseiller départemental

Messagepar BRAVO* » 21 août 2007, 10:05

<translated mode> PSI Stars well okay, So my friend Potatoe created a forum for all PSI stars then if you feel it.. Da Link Subscrive yourself and tell others to do it that way :arrow: let myself run away<translated mode off>
<Come on kids english please ^^>
{ PC* Fermat }
>> Road to work <<

Haveo
Maire

Messagepar Haveo » 25 juin 2008, 00:05

Hi dudes,

It's almost one o'clock, i'm still awake and still on this board. How an exciting life, isnt it ? :-'

Does anyone here is used to watch american shows like House MD., Kyle XY, 24, Dexter, etc. in english ?
As far as i'm concerned, I used to watch movies and shows in english without subs but, even though it's a damn good way to enhance my oral english, it's not such a good method to improve your vocabulary, to learn new phrases, and so on.
It's why I've decided to use english subtitles until i'm skilled enough to understand every single word characters pronounce (which is not within a veeery long time :p ).

For people who are going to go at Fermat's internat (not sure there is a word in english for internat), i've a quite big collection of american shows so, if you feel like watching an episode of House MD. (or if you have the brand new épisode which has just been released) come to see me !

Have fun !

darkpit
Conseiller régional

Messagepar darkpit » 25 juin 2008, 00:59

Hi

I love watching Lost, Heroes, Prison Break (but not the ones you mentionned)... in original version with English subtitles (it's faster to get... :lol:) but I don't believe it made me improve my vocabulary although it enabled me to better understand this language (american accent...).
I think that I won't be able to watch these series next year (I'd better work than doing this).

I will never know the end of Lost, it's so terrible :cry:.

Well, my english is quite simple (and there are "some" mistakes which I have tried to adjust), I gotta try to work a little during the holidays...

Now, it's almost two o'clock AM! and i'm still surfing the web :?...

P.S. : I saw that you live in Bordeaux so we could be together at the "internat" ^^.

Haveo
Maire

Messagepar Haveo » 25 juin 2008, 01:19

It's sure that 42 minutes (standard length) is quite long but, in my opininon, 1 or 2 episodes a week is possible.

I know some people who note any word or phrase they don't know when they watch series. It might be a good idea.

And I used to watch Heroes too but i've stopped. I don't even remember why :D
And, who knows, I'll maybe discover other series next year :-' (no, I'm not a movie addict :D ).

PoetMP2
Sénateur

Messagepar PoetMP2 » 25 juin 2008, 08:57

I'm watching some HIMYM or even My name is Earl, awesome shows ^^

Jimge
Sénateur

Messagepar Jimge » 03 juil. 2008, 20:51

Hello, I'm trying to improve my english by posting in that forum... what do you want to talk about ?
ImageImageImage

! NORMALIEN !

Lutegarde
Sénateur

Messagepar Lutegarde » 04 juil. 2008, 10:11

I do not have any idea about chat to talk about... But I might try something later on
changement de cap --> X09

Yaz
Conseiller régional

Re: What's this pub exactly ?

Messagepar Yaz » 09 mai 2009, 16:39

Hi everybody

Welcome to the Fermat's Pub.

I think it's "Welcome to Fermat's Pub" :p

jugnrock
Sénateur

Messagepar jugnrock » 13 mai 2009, 19:56

I'm afraid because i think people with red hair do not perform very well in english :P
MPSI 1 --> MP1 --> MP*--> ENS Lyon 2010

A-Sophie
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar A-Sophie » 27 juin 2012, 14:09

Hi to everyone.
I have been accepted in Fermat next year in PCSI and I really love English (that's why I'm writting here). I'm almost fluent.
I've juste read the first message of this part of Fermat's forum and I do believe it's a really good idea. I've seen that all the messages are quite olds in this section. Why ? Does no-one want to improve his/her English by now ?
Anyway, I'ld like to ask you what do you think of Fermat's level in English now you're all somewhere else ? Is it correct regarding what is espected in 'post-CPGE' schools ?
I hope someone will see what I've just written. If so, thanks for answering. :P
2012/2014 : Fermat PCSI1/PC
2014/... : Ecole des Mines de Douai

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 14:16

Oh, a brilliant reopening. How nice to you !

I'm also quite fluent at english. My stress isn't the best in the world (is it David ?), but at least I'm understood by an english native.

You'll have several good opportunities to improve your english in Fermat : twice a month, you'll take an "english kholle" in which you'll discuss with an english teacher. It is sad to think it is the first time in your scolarity you'll actually speak english. In high school, it's really not the case...

Anyway, as you can imagine, there is "everything" within a class : excellent pupils, and other one that encounter great difficulties. And with 2h a week of english class, they won't progress a lot...Kholles are much better to do that if you take them seriously (which most people don't do).

Okay folks, I let you spot all my mistakes...I don't want to seek them !
 Administrateur galactique du forum.
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

«Le désespoir n'est pas une idée; c'est une chose, une chose qui torture, qui serre et qui broie le cœur d'un homme comme une tenaille, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit fou et se jette dans la mort comme dans les bras d'une mère» (Alfred de Vigny, 1835)

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 15:39

I won't seek your mistakes, I already don't see mine ^^

How come you only have 2 hours a week to practice a bit of English ? I already find that approximately 5 hours are not enough at all, but then 2 hours...
And what exactly do you talk about with the English teacher ? Will he/she give us a mark on our ability to speak about our own little and miserable life or will we discuss about a given subject ???
I personnally believe, to answer your question A-Sophie, that speaking English fluently will definitely be a plus if you want to travel abroad, to go in a foreign University or even in the case you want to get a job that requires you to move a lot.
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 15:43

In MPSI/MP, you'll attend 2 hours of english classes a week where you will, basicaly, study press articles.

In "kholle", you'll analyze and comment a press article alone and in front of a teacher, and then discuss with him/her.
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

«Le désespoir n'est pas une idée; c'est une chose, une chose qui torture, qui serre et qui broie le cœur d'un homme comme une tenaille, jusqu'à ce qu'il soit fou et se jette dans la mort comme dans les bras d'une mère» (Alfred de Vigny, 1835)

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 15:47

tphi a écrit :In MPSI/MP, you'll attend 2 hours of english classes a week where you will, basicaly, study press articles.

In "kholle", you'll analyze and comment a press article alone and in front of a teacher, and then discuss with him/her.

Ok, so that's just like a normal oral exam (we used to study some articles and other documents during our DNL lessons, this year).

I only hope this won't be too annoying...
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 15:59

The most annoying is when you have a boring article on which you don't know what to comment upon, or worse, you don't dare saying anything about it.
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:03

Well, that's why I chose Physics instead of History and Geography as my subject in English last year ^^ Let's say it frankly, there's nothing more boring than having to speak about something you don't want to.

And this is also difficult when you're too shy indeed :)
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 16:08

Here is a sum up of the worst articles I saw in kholle :

-Stop Positive Discrimination
-When genealogy defines your life
-British students don't want to study another language
-Egypt : The Generals must go

Special remembrances from the fourth one : what do you want to say more than "han la la, the evils generals, they do not respect democraty, this is so bad !" And you're supposed to talk 7 to 10 minutes...
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:13

tphi a écrit :Here is a sum up of the worst articles I saw in kholle :

-Stop Positive Discrimination
-When genealogy defines your life
-British students don't want to study another language
-Egypt : The Generals must go

Special remembrances from the fourth one : what do you want to say more than "han la la, the evils generals, they do not respect democraty, this is so bad !" And you're supposed to talk 7 to 10 minutes...

Haha ! That's why watching TV and especially English speaking channels may be helpful sometimes. It shows that you have some good knowledge about what's happening in the World an so on.
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 16:15

Just read The Economist weekly. This is the key to progress in english !
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:17

I won't :p re-reading the last Harry Potter in English is enough !! ^^ Imao of course !
Pas 5/2

THOR
Maire

Messagepar THOR » 27 juin 2012, 16:20

I had an article which roughkly said that although we were told that studying al lot will permit us to earn a lot of money, it was false because there is more and more engineers in the world, expecially in China, so the wages will decrease. After that, the teacher told me that every time she gave it, the students failed. :mrgreen:
When I log in, everybody loses the game

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:22

Did you fail ? :)
Pas 5/2

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 16:24

"Once upon a kholle, I had an article which was roughly dealing with ..."

That may be a good TV show ! My turn !

Once upon a kholle, I had an article which was roughly dealing with the opening of the biggest "Barbie Center" in Shangai. The teacher told me that I was the first student who found something constructive to say, and not common garbage :mrgreen: Aaah, this dear Ms Bou*****
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

THOR
Maire

Messagepar THOR » 27 juin 2012, 16:29

Jean-Batman a écrit :Did you fail ? :)

Yes I did :lol: But it was the last time I failed!

The key is finding something in which we are interested for the commentary. For example, with an article dealing with somebody who doesn't want to reply his e-mails anymore, I've talked about Prometheus and Blade Runner! :D
When I log in, everybody loses the game

tphi
Chancelier suprême

Messagepar tphi » 27 juin 2012, 16:31

Yeah, everything is about bringing the commentary where you want. I did this on several occasion, often bringing the discussion on ecology when there were a mere allusion. It's better than saying nothing and most of the time, it pays !
 MPSI2 ➝ XM2.

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 16:37

That's a bit far-fetched, I see ^^

The thing to do in that case, according to what I've done until now, is to look relaxed and to talk about anything that comes through your mind :)
Pas 5/2

A-Sophie
Adjoint au maire

Messagepar A-Sophie » 27 juin 2012, 17:56

Thank you every one. Now I know better what's waiting for me next fall !
Jean-Batman a écrit :
I personnally believe, to answer your question A-Sophie, that speaking English fluently will definitely be a plus if you want to travel abroad, to go in a foreign University or even in the case you want to get a job that requires you to move a lot.

I am sure of it too and I love travelling !
have you seen this year's subjec for the scientific section of the A-levels ? Interesting !
2012/2014 : Fermat PCSI1/PC
2014/... : Ecole des Mines de Douai

DRV47
Maire

Messagepar DRV47 » 27 juin 2012, 18:01

The kholles can be interesting but when it's the 7th time you have a document on Facebook & co , you start running out of ideas :D

Otherwise, you should try and talk about what you like: I managed to do a whole part of my commentary about Battlefield 3 and another time on the Dune Chronicles.

Thing is, you've got to talk; as long as you have something to say (even if your English is less than fluent) the teachers are happy.
2011-2012 : MPSI 2 (tous des Dieux !)
2012-2013 : XM2 (vive Papa Rupprecht ;-) )
2013 - ? : MINES ParisTech

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 18:55

A-Sophie a écrit :have you seen this year's subjec for the scientific section of the A-levels ? Interesting !

Not yet, but I will have a look straightaway !
Pas 5/2

eristoff09
Conseiller régional

Messagepar eristoff09 » 27 juin 2012, 18:58

Ho god! Why I understand que dale? :cry:
PCSI à Fermat avec une seul moyenne générale à 15 de toute sa vie :P

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 19:04

eristoff09 a écrit :Ho god! Why I understand que dale? :cry:

Muahahahahaha !! You've decided to join us, finally :twisted:

It may be because tu not speak as well as nous, c'est pour cela que you try to understand à la wannagainbistouflyounette et voilà quoi !
But don't worry about zat...
Pas 5/2

Jean-Batman
Sénateur

Messagepar Jean-Batman » 27 juin 2012, 19:08

Oh yeah, by the way, I remember :

This is what we call epicness :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aucun rapport, mais well, don't matter about this ^^
Pas 5/2

Revenir vers « The Irish Pub »